Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Easement Laws..........

are needed and irritating.

You know, you grow up with the idea of owning a home with maybe a nice fenced in yard and possibly a dog. Then you actually OWN one only to find out one random day that there are easement laws that allow the city to tear the crap out of your front yard under the guise of "improvements" of some sort. Here you are, thinking you actually OWN all this land you THOUGHT you paid for, only you don't. At least, you don't own probably about 10 feet from the street to your house that you THOUGHT you did.

I learned all this just recently. I learned it as I stood helpless as men took giant, LOUD earth moving equipment and dug a hole that was probably about 10 feet long and 4 feet deep into my the easement in the front yard. I learned all about it as I listened to them describe the giant grate with open ends that will soon cover said gaping hole in my the easement in front of my house.

I do get it. There needs to be a way for improvements on things like water flow to be done, but that doesn't mean I still don't find it REALLY IRRITATING! Would it be so hard for somebody to knock on the door the day before and let you know that tomorrow, you will be literally held hostage in your home because they will be digging out a 4 foot deep hole through the road that crosses your house for nearly 6 hours? Would it be asking too much if they let you KNOW that they would be digging that giant hole in the yard at 8 am? Is that seriously too much? How hard would that really be?

Let's call that a rhetorical question.

1 comment: